Do you need security plugin for WordPress? Of course, you do! But you should ensure that you use the helpful one. Try to refuse those which slow down your web site due to poor codes and plenty of other features like active security monitoring, file scanning, blacklist monitoring, notifications for threats and a lot of others. Are they required? If you are sure that they are, make you choice!
What features are Needed?
The most tempting one is a login page. When you defend the pages in this way, you make it difficult to access them. Thus, the attackers get less information to use and at that the usability of the site is not impacted. Then you should defense the databases with the information about your site stored within WordPress. You should support and change database’s prefix which can be done by plugins. Now firewalls give a user an opportunity to block the connections which he does not want to have. This is the principle function thought they have some more. WordPress doesn’t include this feature, but firewalls are definitely one of the best options for those who want to prevent brute force or DDoS attacks on their sites.
But remember that no security option is perfect but still when you apply some of them you mitigate risks. Apply reliable plugins designed to provide security and in this way you will manage to protect the site against attackers. Though you should remember that when you load and activate them, you can get undesired changes on your desktop which are not so necessary. To solve this problem, choose the plugins implementing a single feature.
- Sucuri Security will provide you with auditing, security hardening and scanning for malware.
- Wordfence Security will harden the login pages in a proper way but it packs plenty of extra features which can be not as helpful as you want.
- In order to install something more targeted, choose WP Limit Login Attempts.
- Use All In One WP Security if you want to protect the databases. Though, you can do it by hand.
- To implement a firewall the All In One WP Security and Firewall plugin can be used.
By the way you can do without plugins if you do not require certain features. WordPress suggests hiding login errors by hand and makes users to log in entering their email addresses. These two defenses can be enough for you.